Thursday, July 02, 2009

By the Jugular

The piece below was inspired by this comment from Miriam Louisa (This Unlit Light)

“I have followed your work for some years - your writing in particular. It gets me by the jugular. I love the directness, the honesty, the humour.”

By the Jugular

The first time God got me by the jugular it was about my youngest child, my daughter. Seems He wanted me to give her back-soon. Tried for three years to keep her, but in the end it was His Call.

The second time it was about my husband, my mate of 38 years. Same vein, same reason. This time the trying went on for four and a half years, but in the end...time stood no chance against eternity.

These days I am aware that He is there with me, closer than my neck vein, as someone wrote. He wants me and He wants me now. Seems that was always what it was about. He is indeed The Hound of Heaven.

Why do I keep writing? Every now and then a vagrant wanders by and reads what I have written and it seems to make them remember something they have forgotten...that to be moved by the spirit one descends into the darkness so that he can look up at the stars.

No comments: