Friday, June 11, 2010

The Fall
I fell into the darkness seeking light. Oh, it was a terrible, bone crushing landing. The pieces of black sky and the dark waters of midnight swept over me and I was gone, lost in the land of mechanical introspection. The professor who tutored me in this place was called Nameless.
Soundless was Professor Nameless and my inner screams were magnified a thousand fold. I was searching my mind for a route of escape and the harder I searched, the darker it got. Where was the fair land of enchantment called enlightenment? Had the professor hidden it under a diabolical rock?
And then the winds of despair began to whip over me. My lips were parched and my throat closed around the words, God, help me. Nothing was heard now and the professor had disappeared into the midnight.
Suddenly something occurred to me. I turned around and began to walk away from myself. I had no other direction in which to go, you understand. From that point on I was enveloped in grace. It didn’t matter if I made my escape from darkness or not. The “I” seeking escape was left behind. I walked out a free spirit. I turned one last time to scan the darkness and all I saw was light.

2 comments:

Colleen Loehr said...

"The "I" seeking escape was left behind."

"It didn't matter if I made my escape from darkness or not."

And then the darkness disappears. There is irony in "what we resist persists" and, conversely, what we don't resist dissolves. It seems there is a higher truth above our logical minds. Thank you for a vivid and poetic image/allegory for expressing this difficult-to-express paradox (that seeking prevents finding, and surrender is victory).

Vicki Woodyard said...

You said, "...there is a higher truth above our logical minds." Yes. And for the vast majority of people, there is no sustained interest in that place. And even we, who have sustained interest, keep falling down and going boom :) And yet we are learning from our falls.