Friday, June 18, 2010

What I Know (Written around the table at Cancer Wellness)
I know how to cut to the chase–
To lay my heart bare to the bone.
To stand my ground as it slips away
Knowing I will fly at just the right time.
I know my pain and so I know yours
and I know how to lift the load.
I know how to settle into peace and
how to sleep at night.
I know nothing about anything that
isn’t true to my little, beating fleeting heart.
It’s all written there scratched out by a dime
I found in my pocket.
Vicki Woodyard

2 comments:

Colleen Loehr said...

Fun! And beautiful...you hold language like a paint brush and enjoy a dazzle and splash of the life moving through. Thank you.

Vicki Woodyard said...

This writing group is quite amazing. As I said to one participant, we scratch more than the surface. I love to write without any knowing getting in the way. When I got home, I thought a bit about why I used the dime in my pocket. I think it was saying that when the chips are down, you can only use what you have at hand to get you to a higher level. And often it's just barely enough. And yet, voila! It opens the prison door.