Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Not much goin' on here down south. I made some lemon blueberry scones that are to die for. Yesterday it was Chai cookies. Too hot to be out stirring around. So the stirring is in the mixing bowl.

Here's a homemade essay from scratch: Enjoy with a scone and cup of tea.


Resting In the Real
Resting in the real underlies everything we do, so why do we resist letting go of what is unreal? It is the unreal that clings to the unreal. The aphorism “Cling nowhere” is something that sounds downright wise, but we are too busy clinging to investigate it. Our monkey minds have very long tails and busy little paws.
There is a What If factory in my mind that is never short of workers. Thousands of thoughts hire thousands of other thoughts to manufacture What Ifs all day long. The irregulars are given away. What are some of the irregulars? What Ofs, What Fors, What Nows. You can drop by the factory and take home an armload for nothing. 
In my particular What If factory, awakening is a primary product. What if I was awake and what if I was enlightened are popular products. What if I stay asleep and what if I die before I wake sell well to the  advaita market.
The What If factory never suffers a downturn in sales unless an enlightenment seminar comes to town. And then, look out. For about a week, the factory has to let some thoughts go. That is because enlightenment is not about thought and What If is only a thought. I don’t like to admit it, but What If is a fearmonger disguised as a useful business. And I am running it in my head!
Down below the head is the heart, the original mattress factory. Here I rest in the real.
Vicki Woodyard

2 comments:

Colleen Loehr said...

Great essay Vicki! We have the same head, the one human mind, What Iffing itself to town.

The real is real, not if.

I love the surprise ending: below the head, the heart- the original mattress factory...Here I also rest in the real.

Very vivid...vivid enough that I may remember to wake up from the What If factory, and rest on the mattress of the real in the heart...

Thank you.

Vicki Woodyard said...

Lucky for me I don't write these things ;) They seem to write themselves. Now if I could just let things right themselves without my getting in the way, but that's another essay.